On April 10th 1891 Messrs Neil Robson A.L. Holms, James Craig, A.T Taylor and Rev James Murray met in the Parish Church Halls, Kilmacolm to discuss the formation of a new golf club and only en days later agreement had been reached with Mr James Laird of Lawfield Farm to rent ‘the ground at Windy Hill' comprising what is now used for our 1st, 2nd and 18th holes plus the practice ground, at a rent of £10 for the first 50 members plus 4 shillings (20p) per member above that number. Work went ahead immediately under the supervision of Willie Campbell, the professional at The Ranfurly Club and the nine hole course was opened with an exhibition match on 18th May. (unbelievably only five weeks from the first planning meeting !!). The initial fees were 1 guinea entry and 1 guinea annual subscription. The initial clubhouse took a little longer to erect but it was opened on 22nd June 1891, the total cost being £86 nineteen and elevenpence.
The members were keen to have an eighteen hole course and by August 1891 further ground was leased.This new ground was to the south of Houston Road comprising the present 3rd hole and in addition a considerable area beyond the present 3rd green down into the valley to the right of the 4th fairway and up to the North Barlogan Plantation. This was very hilly and the area beyond the 3rd green was known as ‘Jacob's Ladder'. This, the second course was pretty short at 3,755 yards and in 1897 further ground was acquired comprising what is now the 4th, 5th, 16th and 17th holes plus a bit of the 15th and this increased the length to 4,360 yards. After some negotiation the land to the north of Houston Road was leased from Elderslie Estates allowing the holes 6 to 13 to be laid out and at the same time the ground beyond the present 3rd green was given up. This, the fourth course, measuring 5648 yards was opened in November 1908.
We would still recognise the 1908 course as our present course although some changes have been made. James Braid the most famous professional of the day was consulted in 1924 and under his guidance several new bunkers and mounds were created. In 1984 the club bought the course from Elderslie Estates for £140,000.
At the AGM of 2002 it was resolved that ladies become full members of the club.
Sunday golf was initially prohibited but was introduced in 1932 on condition that play did not commence before 1pm. The clubhouse could open but no alcohol or food could be served. Furthermore no caddies could be employed. These conditions continued until 1960 when Sunday golf became equivalent to any other day of the week.
Kilmacolm has hosted many exhibition matches but in 1937 the members had the privilege of seeing one of the greatest professionals of all time, Walter Hagen, tackle our village course. Hagen carded a 68 and was probably paid about £75.